[Note: Today we’ll be posting the top 20 Finalists in the 2008 D*S DIY Contest. Four finalists will be posted an hour from 9 am to 1pm. Once you’ve seen the top 20 to cast your vote. Details on today’s voting process are right here]
5. Kellie’s DIY Bedroom
- Description: Kelly’s Bedroom is a DIY project in itself: the headboard, dresser and painted chandelier are all DIY projects completed by Kellie and her husband. The chandelier was made using a projector, the dresser was painted and gift wrap was added for decoration, and the headboard was made from a wooden frame, foam and fabric.
6. Kate’s Wallpaper Fireplace
- Description: Kate moved into an apartment with a . Since she’s a renting, she wanted to do something that wouldn’t permanently damage the fireplace. So Kate adhered wallpaper to foam core (cut to fit the fireplace) using rubber cement and bought trim/molding from Home Depot and painted it to match the walls.
7. Kate’s Framed Wall Sconces
- Description: Inspired by ‘awesome’ galvanized outdoor wall lights she found at Home Depot for $30 a piece, Kate created these framed DIY sconces to ‘bring that industrial feel of an outdoor fixture indoors’. Her project required only simple materials like mat board, fabric, paint, frames and glue.
8. Benita’s Frosted Doors
- Description: The doors to Benita’s son’s room were brown with ‘ugly patterned yellow glass panels’. So she removed and recycled the yellow glass, painted the door frames and inserted frosted perspex panels. Then she cut ‘zillions’ of circles from Avery etched glass film adhesive and applied them in a decorative pattern.