Hello friends! I hope you all had an awesome week, and that you had time for a few furniture transformations! Today on Before & After Basics we’ll learn about whitewashing furniture. Whitewashing is a technique that allows you to brighten your wood without hiding the grain pattern. Please know that this can be done with gray, blue or any color of your choosing, but I would recommend a lighter color to ensure the desired finish. Let’s whip out those paint brushes! —
CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!
- piece of unpainted furniture
- fine sanding sponge
- lint-free rags
- container for mi paint
- latex paint (you choose the color)
- paint brush
- water-based poly (I like a satin finish)
1. Sand the surface of the item to be whitewashed with a fine sanding block, or an orbital sander with a super-fine sanding pad. Once sanding is complete, clean the surface with a dry cloth to remove any dust.
2. Make your whitewash mixture. Mix two parts white or light gray latex paint and one part water. There are also white stains available at your local hardware store if you would like to take the guess work out of it, but where’s the fun in that!?
3. Using a paint brush, apply the whitewash mixture in long strokes following the wood grain. Whitewash tends to dry quickly, so work in small sections.
4. While the whitewash is still damp, wipe off excess with a clean rag. This will allow even more of the wood grain to show through in your design.
5. Allow the piece to dry completely and then repeat steps 3 and 4 until you’ve reached a desired level of coverage. This can be different for each individual! Allow your creative eye to tell you when enough is enough.
6. After the piece is completely dry, you can sand again to allow more of the wood grain to show through, or to just even out areas that have gathered too much paint.
7. Seal the piece with a water-based poly applied in long , even strokes. Water-based poly is best for this surface because it’s white. Oil-based poly will add a yellow hint, and take away from that fresh white glow!
8. Stand back, admire the goodness and give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done!
See you next week! xo