High-end geode and crystal home decor is everywhere! Having a rock garden in my home is right up my alley, but can be expensive. So today I’ll share how to get the look of bookends using rocks scavenged from your neighborhood streets. —
CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!
- rocks of all different shapes and sizes (make sure to get several that are flat on two sides)
- metallic gold spray paint
- hot glue sticks
- industrial strength glue such as or
- gold leaf adhesive and gold leaf
- weighted cardboard box (You can fill the box with books!)
- hot glue gun
- old paint brush
- soft brush
- soap and dirty toothbrush
1. Gather rocks and scrub with soap and brush. Let dry completely.
2. Spray paint rocks gold. Make sure to get all sides and angles nice and covered. Let dry according to spray paint instructions.
3. Pick out rocks that are flat on the bottom and one side. Look around until you find three that can serve as your starting point. Use hot glue to quickly tack them together. Place them next to your heavy box and keep building! This project is like a 3D puzzle that can have slight imperfections. After you have a good start, stop and reinforce the rocks with your industrial-strength glue. Hot glue alone will not hold these gems together forever!
4. Use your box as a guide to make the flat side of the bookend that will hold up your books. Keep building by hot-gluing and then reinforcing until you have a nice shape that you are happy with.
5. To add a “facet” shine, gold leaf some rock edges. This is also a great way to cover any glue that’s showing!
6. Enjoy! Happy October from Halligan.