Last weekend Amy Azzarito, Amy Merrick and I gathered at Amy A.’s house to watch as the final stages of her bedroom makeover came together. With the help of Nadia and Myriah from , Amy has totally reimagined her bedroom and created a great before & after video that will be up on Design*Droits-Humains soon! Part of the video shoot involved Nadia and Myriah bringing in some beautiful new furniture and accessories to finish the look. One piece in particular, a Boucherouite rug from Kea in Brooklyn, caught my eye. And by caught my eye I mean it made me consider “accidentally” taking it home with me on the subway.
Boucherouite are freeform “rag rugs” from Morocco made with leftover scraps of fabric and inexpensive materials. As wool became rarer and more expensive to buy in Morocco, family looms started using found scraps to create exciting patterns and color juxtapositions that wouldn’t normally be found in traditional Moroccan rugs. This new take on an old tradition has yielded some dramatic results and I am a full fledged fan. You can find more information on these rugs , or check out the selection that carries at Brooklyn. Thanks to for sharing these with us last week. Images above and below via , , , and the .
I’m off for the weekend so I’ll see you again on Monday. Have a wonderful weekend! xo, grace
*Below is a summary of this week’s highlights:
- Must-Read Posts of the Week: Best of: Dining Rooms (Square Tables)
- New City Guide: Leeds, England
- Biz Ladies: How To Avoid Burnout
- Living In: Love Story
- Past & Present: Windsor Chair History + Resources
- Sneak Peeks: Alessandra Olanow, Annette Joseph
- DIY Projects: Knitting and Crochet Tutorials with Brett Bara; Ashley’s Floral Tray Table; Halligan’s Chalkboard Globe; Marbled Paper How-To with Erica Domesek!
- What’s in Your Pocket(book): Erin Loechner
- Before & Afters: David’s Cabinet + Elizabeth’s Fireplace; Jessica + Susan’s Reupholstered Chairs; Camila’s Kitchen Floor + Andrew’s Remodel
- Under $50: Office Wall Organizers + 5 Bedroom Essentials
- Before & After Basics: Wood Filler
- Simply Color: Sanna Annukka and Jasper Goodall
- Flowers A–Z: A is for Anemone
- Trendspotting: Circus Maximus
- In the Kitchen With: Katie Quinn Davies’ Guinness Cake Recipe
- Behind the Bar: Tina Frey’s Negroni Drink Recipe
- Small Measures with Ashley: Pumpkin Bliss
- Misc.: Current Obsession: Baked Explorations; Top 15 Tile Resources; Lee Broom’s One Light Only; Heath Ceramics Winter 2010 Collection; Moroquaise Fabric from Cottage Industrialist; Pumpkin Pancake Breakfast + Label Download; Raku Water Vases; Anne Smith’s Illustrations