Inspiration is definitely not hard to come by, but diluting and diversifying your influences is oh-so important if you’re looking to establish your own style (a topic I’m passionate about, ).
Setting the tone this week are works by some of my favorite artists, as well as a plethora of insider-info and links to visit when you’re on the hunt for fresh, relevant and up-to-date creative inspiration and resources — all intended to inspire and light a gentle fire under your bums to start the week strong.
Favorite creative people to check out:
- I’ve fallen in love with the surreal digital collage work of Spanish artist (aka “Bastianilk”).
- and are both friends of mine from my days in art school, but bias aside, they continue to be at the top of my list of favorite illustrators. Some others include (the creator of Broad City‘s intro graphics), and .
- ‘s photography is spellbindingly beautiful.
- is essentially Pinterest geared toward visual art, illustration, design and photography. A regular go-to for me.
- is a daily creative blog that also puts out a bi-annual magazine, summer symposium, and podcast bringing you articles on everything from vignettes of your favorite artists’ bookshelves and what they’re reading, to new graduates to keep an eye on, to candid chats about the industry.
- and (that’s seven O’s) are also worth regular visits.
- is essentially an online version of the magazine, Computer Arts, loaded with extras.
- is probably the trendiest and hippest source I visit. While it’s namely for photography inspiration, the way it’s curated also lends itself well to gathering color palette inspiration and getting involved in community hashtags.
- No one likes a copy-cat or someone who steals other people’s work, so never steal… unless it’s legally allowed! has always been a great reseource for finding drawing references, hi-res photos to crop and use for an image or collage, etc. Just be sure to read the license, but otherwise go wild!
- Last but not least, the obvious choices: ’s explore feed and Pinterest deserve a mention.