Sometimes I see art that makes me feel completely and utterly dumbfounded. And this week, that artwork belongs to the incredibly talented . emailed me a link to his work the other day, and I spent the next 10 minutes trying to pick my jaw up off the floor.
Michael makes stunning pieces that are comprised of tiny bits of paper, glass and other ephemera, carefully pinned onto boards. Up close they look like a detailed cabinet of curiosities, but from a distance they create grand, mosaic-style images. Michael’s “” series is what first caught my eye and I love that every tiny (and I mean tiny), pinned detail feels like its own miniature work of art — from clippings of paper and photographs to fabric samples, botanical specimens, x-rays, clay, thread and bits of glass. If these pieces don’t inspire you to make something with your own two hands, I don’t know what will. At the very least, hopefully they’ll inspire you to dig deeper into and enjoy his spectacular body of work. xo, grace
- I’ve been working on getting “After the Jump” back up and running and have been listening to a million podcasts in preparation. One of the podcasts I’m most looking forward to is . The way our identities affect the way we live and interact with those around us is a fascinating and important topic.
- I love the in this new NYC restaurant. (Remodelista)
- Meghan’s at One Kings Lane is genius. Seriously. This is such a chic way to makeover a small backyard space (or a fire escape!).
- These ! Oh man, they are my home equivalent of a little black dress (or jeans). Always a good idea. (SFGirlbyBay)
- I loved this at The Design Files.
- Need some snacks for the holiday weekend? And some podcasts to go with them? I love at Food52.
- Speaking of putting your feet up — how ? I haven’t been this excited about fashion in a long time. Hellooo, winky face.
- : This article is an absolute must-read.
- on what she’s learned from the loss of her husband. Heartbreaking and poignant and so important.
- Must-Reads: Boss Up: 10 Songs to Motivate Your Business, #DSCandid, 20 Homes Where Wallpaper Rules, 11 of The Best and Brightest Homes in Ontario, Canada, 10 of Our Favorite Chicago, IL Interiors
- Monday Mood: Outdoor Bliss
- DIY Projects: DIY Drawer Organizer
- Books: Reading Spaces with Tanwi Nandini Islam
- Food: Christine Ha’s Vietnamese Chicken Salad
- Decorating: 11 Creative and Unconventional Side Tables
- Interiors: An English Home Where White Paint Allows Colors to Pop, A Philadelphia Home Transformed By Hand
- Before & After: “MOHO” Style in a Colorful Family Home
- Life & Business: Challenging the Status Quo with Ira Studio’s Manasa Prithvi, Boss Up: 10 Songs to Motivate Your Business