I love when art and design can make me see things with new eyes. On the first day of a design lecture, the esteemed professor told my class that nothing new will ever be created. And I think he meant it to put our jobs into perspective–that we didn’t have to reinvent the wheel. But it also felt limiting–all that is out there is all that will ever be. Thankfully a few times a year a designer or artist reminds me that there is room for a new take on the status quo.
Two and a half years ago, Grace introduced incredible woven paper artwork to Design*Droits-Humains. Gunjan, originally from India now living in Sydney, Australia, creates impeccable pieces with rolled, colored paper. Since we first learned about Gunjan’s work, she’s evolved her process from weaving paper into flat tapestries to now creating 3-dimensional, geometric sculptures. Her new collection, Place for Prayer, is full of raised, symmetrical forms in blue, maroon and goldenrod. The collection was inspired by the shapes in Indian mosques, churches and temples she saw during her childhood. Place for Prayer is being shown now through July 24th at the gallery in Sydney, Australia. Gunjan’s 3-D paper tapestries would be even more amazing to see in person. Her work proves that there is room for new ideas in an old process. –Lauren
- Shelf Life: I wish there was like this near me. I would bring home a new plant each week.
- Pack It Up, Pack It In: I’m planning a lot of trips this summer and fall. Such will come in handy.
- Love & Humanity: Actor Nico Tortorella talks about his podcast, The Love Bomb, and how stories of have shaped the show.
- True Beauty: Poet and series writer of the HBO show Brown Girls, Fatimah Asghar, talks .
- Shopping List: This is extensive and offers options in almost any budget.
- Flavor Favor: I like food that subtly hints at a holiday instead of being theme-y. This strawberry topped would be perfect option for a 4th of July gathering.
- Interiors: A Celebrated Chef’s Laid-Back Seattle Craftsman, The Farmer’s Daughter Flower Shop, Jersey City’s Urby Residences
- Decorating: Design from A to Z: K is for Knick Knack, 15 of Our Favorite Sectional Sofas, The Power of Painted Cabinets
- Apps, Tech + Online: Natural Pattern & Texture Feeds to Follow on Instagram,
- Life + Business: Three is the Magic Number: A Kanban Primer, Celebrating Creative Businesses in Erin Abbott’s How to Make It
- Shopping: The Tropical Parade