On Sunday evening, Austin and I drove out of town 40 miles to in Winterset, IA. Austin was photographing the flower farm for an upcoming yoga/music event they’ll be hosting later in the summer, and I tagged along just to see the flowers. When I worked as a magazine editor, I was constantly ordering ridiculous amounts of flowers from California and Amsterdam and having them shipped to Des Moines for photo shoots. Even after I started producing shoots and events on my own, I kept ordering flowers from international wholesalers — but Sunday’s trip had me seeing the error in my ways.
The perfect rolling hills covered in late summer blooms were so breathtaking on Sunday. , farmer, florist and co-founder at PepperHarrow Farm showed us around the gardens and talked about plans for the future. In-season, locally sourced flowers can make a big impact environmentally and the flowers look flawless for days (or even a week) longer than they would buying from a retailer or wholesaler. The bouquet we took home looks as fresh as it did that evening. The whole night felt like a dream — a summery, beautiful, small-town dream. Wishing you summertime magic like that this weekend. —Lauren
Images above: Top two images taken by of the gardens and farm. Lower image taken by of his arrangement using stems from his farm.
- Church Work: Julie Mehretu has been using for the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.
- Sip on This: Two of my favorite go-tos, to make one perfect summertime drink.
- Art Appreciation: says art teaches critical thinking and empathy and produces kinder societies.
- California Cool: A peek at has me feeling those modern beach vibes.
- Women + Science: Deanne Bell, co-host of “Make Me a Millionaire Inventor,” is using her platform to encourage girls and young women to past 10th grade.
- Simplified Design: The men behind talk about their furniture, the company’s background, and the personalities they give each piece they design.
- Interiors: A 16th-Century Home Begins a Playful New Chapter, A Parisian Textile Designer’s Pattern-Filled Maison, Merging Styles in a Victorian Outside Chicago, IL, A Collected Sanctuary in Notting Hill That’s All About Comfort
- Before & After: A Master Bath Gets a Bright Makeover in Austin, TX
- Decorating: 5 Tips for Sourcing Ethical Textiles with Mira Blackman, Design from A to Z: P is for Paneling
- Apps, Tech & Online: 15 Art + Design Gifs to Make You Smile (and Laugh), 8 Basics to Snap up at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale This Weekend
- Food & Drinks: Refreshing Pineapple-Herb Sorbet