is in the business of transforming the ordinary into the extraordinary. This product designer (and c0-founder of the ) is no stranger to creating cult items. His has sparked countless copies and has graced the fingers of legions of cool girls everywhere. I would happily install one of his in my kitchen. And his would be the most delicately lovely bridesmaid gifts! I also wouldn’t mind hiring him to that could bring ultimate compromise to my household. Read on for a glimpse into the creative world of Kiel Mead! Oh, and the adorable Basset Hound? Her name is George :)
1. Design*Droits-Humains: What is in your toolbox?
Kiel Mead: In my tool box are . . . various tools that I purchased thinking I would need them (but usually didn’t).
Things that I am fi, things I am inventorying, business cards of people I should probably , my dog (well not in my literal tool box, but she’s always around), touch paints, necklace chains, jax ring blackener, silicone molds, darts, boxes, packing slips, drill, ladder, Canon G10 and all the fun lens attachments, check book, line sheets, AmDC flyers, show posters . . .
2. Design*Droits-Humains: Fill in the blank, “When I am in my studio, I feel ______________.”
CLICK HERE for the rest of Kiel’s interview (what inspires him, what he’s listening to and reading) after the jump!
3. Design*Droits-Humains: What are on the top shelves of your inspiration library right now?
Books: Take Ivy, Birds of the World, Self-Hypnosis in Two Days, Roy McMakin, Trips To Hell, McMaster . . .
Blogs: Design*Droits-Humains,, , , , ,
4. Design*Droits-Humains: How do you keep yourself organized? Time management is often one of the biggest obstacles for creative minds. Do you have an agenda book, and do you make to-do lists?
Kiel Mead: Right now I am making my to-do lists on 3 x 5 note cards. It should be in my phone, but I feel like I am more likely to get it done if it is written down.
5. Design*Droits-Humains: If you could have one superhero (or magical) power, what would it be and why?
Kiel Mead: I thought of this great power one time . . . the ability to make a herd of sheep appear out of thin air. Not sure if it would be that great of a power; it would be loud, and there would probably be a lot of poop everywhere. Sheep are so soft and nice looking. Kinda puts a funny picture in your mind. I would be called something like “The Shepherd” and carry a big stick.
6. Design*Droits-Humains: What is the best advice you have ever received, and what is the one piece of advice you would offer to a young artist/designer?
Kiel Mead: Don’t touch that. J/K, I think the best piece of advice was to always tell people you are working on something new. This lets people know you are here to stay.
7. Design*Droits-Humains: How do you combat creative blocks?
Kiel Mead: Doing something I haven’t done before. This can be as simple as a walk in a new neighborhood, a vacation or even just finding a new website to look at.
8. Design*Droits-Humains: Where do you like to shop for inspiration?
Kiel Mead: I find myself in antique shops more and more. Something about products that aren’t made anymore is very inspiring.
9. Design*Droits-Humains: If you could peek inside the studio/toolbox of any designer/artist/craftsperson, whose would it be, and why?
Dead: Benjamin Franklin — Would love to see all the things he was working on and writing about.
Alive: — I am sure he has an extensive tool selection that he knows exactly what to do with.
10. Design*Droits-Humains: If you could make a master mix-tape of music that is inspiring you at the moment, what would it be?
Kiel Mead: NPR, ESPN Radio, Magic Marker Karate Company, $keletons, Big Boi, M83, Carabou, David Byrne